Consistent, heavy drinking can do more than impair your judgement and give you a nasty hangover. In fact, excessive alcohol consumption is one of the leading causes of neuropathy. Alcoholic neuropathy occurs when there is a more consistent presence of alcohol in your body and, therefore, damages nerve tissues in the peripheral nervous system. This damage doesn’t occur all at once, but rather slowly over time. Because of this, it might be hard to pinpoint when your symptoms truly began.
There are a few key symptoms to look for if you think you could be suffering from alcoholic neuropathy:
- Pain in your extremities (especially your feet)
- Numbness and tingling in your extremities
- Weak muscles causing cramping, spasms, or aching
- Change in your ability to talk or swallow
- Problems when urinating or with your bladder
- Bowel function issues
- Inability to tolerate high temperatures
- Chronic vitamin B deficiency that can lead to serious changes in normal muscle and eye function (Wernicke encephalopathy)
By reducing or eliminating the amount of alcohol in your system, you can stop the progression of these symptoms and keep your nerves from having permanent damage. In addition, treatment at Neuropathy Treatment Clinic of Oklahoma can help reduce symptoms of neuropathy. With Nerve Regenerating Therapy, 87% of patients experience a significant improvement in symptoms, if not complete relief. Additionally, research shows those who have pre and post skin biopsies have increased nerve fiber density and nerve rejuvenation.
Don’t battle these symptoms alone. Our providers at NTCO want to help you find relief from pain and numbness. Call 918-921-8160 to schedule a consultation and find out what steps you can take to have that new lease on life you are searching for.
Get back to life, pain free with Neuropathy Treatment Clinic of Oklahoma.